Rājmā (Hindi: राजमा, Urdu: راجما) is a popular North Indian vegetarian dish consisting of red kidney beans in a thick gravy with lots of Indian whole spices and usually served with rice and roti. Although the kidney bean is not of Indian origin, it is a part of regular diet in northern regions Haryana, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Kashmir, Delhi, and Himachal Pradesh. This dish developed after the red kidney bean was brought to the Indian subcontinent from Central Mexico and Guatemala. Being a popular dish, it is prepared on all important occasions. About 100 grams of boiled Rajma beans contain 140 calories. 5.7 grams of protein, 5.9 grams of fat and nearly 17.8 grams of carbohydrate.The combination of Rajma and rice generally lists as a top favorite of North Indians, particularly the Punjabi people.
3-4 chopped green chillies
1 cup Rajma or Red Kidney Beans
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1 tsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp garam masala
1 finely chopped red onion
3 tblsp ginger-garlic paste
3 chopped tomatoes
Salt to taste
- Wash and soak rajma overnight or for at least for 8 hours. If you want to cook rajma immediately then just immerse rajmah in pressure cook and let it boil for sometime and after that pressure cook it.
- Pressure cook the soaked rajma in the same water in whicn it was soaked .Add more water if required until rajma is soft and tender. Keep the rajma along with stock in another container.
- Heat oil in pressure cook, fry cinnamon stick, cloves ,bay leaf and cumin seeds for a minute. Then add chopped onions. Saute it for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder ,salt , green chilles and Pressure cook.After second whistle turn off the gas flame.
- Oopen pressure cook after 15-20 minutes and mix all the ingredients till everything si turned into fine paste and oil starts to separate.
- Now add little bit of boiled rajma to the mixture and mash it. Mix it well and saute for 2 -3 more minutes.
- Now add all the remaining rajma along with stock and mix it well. In case you feel the gravy is less, you can add some water. Cover it and let it simmer it for 20-30 minutes. When the rajma gets nicely blended with the curry sprinkle some chopped coriander and move to a serving dish.
- Garnish it with few coriander leaves and serve with hot rice